3 years ago

I knew the date was coming up but didn’t realize it was tomorrow. 3 years ago Carter had to have emergency surgery. I was never so scared in my life.

It all began when he got an ear infection.  I took him to the doctor. They gave him antibiotics. That night I noticed his neck was swollen on one side. I called the pharmacy, I was concerned over an allergic reaction because I am allergic to penicillin.   They said it didn’t sound like it. The next day I called the doctor, he said it sounded like a swollen lymph gland, keep an eye on it and let him know if it got worse.

58127_490511601507_60831Sept. 23, 2 days after the lump appeared. It was hard and round, just like a swollen gland should be31_nSept. 23, 2010

2 days after I found the lump. He was still pretty happy though. He had a cold for awhile before this, or at least I thought it was a cold.He had always been a happy baby, but he was crying all the time. wanted held all the time. I thought it was just a cold and cough. Over the next few weeks I learned it was more than that. And I am so lucky to have my little boy.

Sept. 29.

These pictures are always hard for me to look at. I can’t help but cry every time I do. The emotions and fear flood back through my mind and I think why no one was more concerned. I knew something was wrong. I knew it in my heart but kept listening to the doctor say is was doing what it was supposed to be. He believed it was an abscess and it would pop on its own. But it didn’t. It only got bigger and bigger.

sept 30

Sept 30.

7 days after it appeared

oct 3October 3

At this point he had been back to the doctor and they ordered an ultrasound to see what was going on.  My doctor saw him again before this and tried to get the hospital to move the ultrasound up, but they refused.

oct3 back

My poor baby couldn’t turn his head. He spent most of his day in my arms, he spent all of his night sleeping in my arms while I tried to sleep in a rocking chair.

oct 5Tuesday, October 5

I took him to the doctor again. I was scared. It was not normal. My doctor was shocked when he saw it. he called the children’s hospital, he left the room and I waited and waited a long time. He came back in and said I needed to take him to the hospital now. he would need surgery to drain it and he would need to stay overnight. My husband was gone, had just left the country, a friend had come with me. I couldn’t go right away. I had to call my husband and get him home. I had to pick up my other kids.  I broke down crying in the parking lot. How could it have gotten this bad?

I got everything arranged and we went, my friend came with me so I wouldn’t be alone. My husband was trying to get home. The nurses in the hospital loved him. He was always a charmer. And he was super chubby. they couldn’t believe he was only breastfed. Everyone that passed him in the ER smiled at him. It was hard. He needed an IV and I had to hold him down.

The surgeon came and talked with me. Then we waited. Just before they came to get us my husband got there. It was a huge relief. I had to hand him to a nurse to take to the OR and I walked down that long hallway ready to fall apart.

It wasn’t a terrible wait. It was pretty quick when they were done and we got to go to him. He was just waking up. But the nurses let his IV fall out.

I stayed overnight with him.

They had drained the abscess and put gauze in it. In the morning the doctor came to look at it and pull the gauze out. It was awful. The hole in his neck was the size of a nickel.  we could go home but he needed to take antibiotics.  Because they didn’t get enough in his IV.

oct 9

We went home and at first he seemed better but refused the medicine. He would throw it up.  His fevers came up. He had been getting very high fevers. I had to take him back Saturday morning.  The test results were back. Carter had a staph infection that cause the abscess.  He needed 24 hrs of  IV antibiotics. So we stayed again. But then after that night he was getting better. His fever was down and they let us leave.

oct 14This is one of my favorite pictures of Carter. Is makes me remember how hard it was and how happy I was to have my happy boy again. I get a rush of feelings whenever I see it. I am so thankful for him.

When we were at the hospital the surgeon told me she had never seen an abscess as big as his.  The next time I saw our doctor he admitted to me how worried he was that day he sent us to the hospital. He said he was almost septic. The doctor did a good job of hiding it from me.  Carter still has his scar and sometimes I tell him about how sick he was.  I will always follow my instincts from now on.

Just adding a current picture of my sweet boy



One thought on “3 years ago

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s